Monday 14 September 2009

Barren Grounds

I went for a nice walk in the Barren Grounds Nature Reserve on the weekend. The park is very nice and rarely has an over-abundance of annoying tourists.

Barren Grounds

Also being spring the wild flowers were out.
Purple

Nice

I did the Griffiths trail and Kangaroo ridge walk which combine for a nice 20 km outing, but with wide grassy tracks where you only need to look down when snakes move from just in front of your feet it was a pleasant day out. That is if you don't count the 4 hours spent driving there and back.

Stone bridge

Also to top it off I managed to flush 2 ground parrots (on the kangaroo ridge walk section) and got a photo of one, although it is a pretty poor photo as I lack the power of the bigma.

Ground parrot (Pezoporus wallicus)

4 comments:

AGL said...

You nailed it!! :-) I can even see the red bit above the beak, great photo! - now I will have to get down there again :-D Any snakes?

Cheers Allan

Jarrod said...

One thing that shot off from just in front of my foot. It was hard to tell if it was a snake or legless lizard and was only 20 cm long. There were two ground parrots on the kangaroo trail though so if you are going it is well worth getting out to that section.

Iain said...

GREAT GUNS!!!!!!!!!

Jarrod said...

Still yet to see your dead cert southern emu wren there.