Sunday 13 February 2011

Boat harbour

A few weeks back after not doing much over the weekend Allan gave me a call to see if I wanted to make a trip to boat harbour to look for a Red Knot.
IMG_6113
As usual there was a fine selection of waders and we were struggling to find the right bird. But luckily there was someone there who knew what they were doing and we soon had some good views.

Red Knot (Calidris canutus)
Sadly I couldn't get any good photos.

Nankeen kestrel (Falco cenchroides)
Some of the other birds showed up a little better though.

IMG_5977

4 comments:

AGL said...

Fantastic Nankeen Kestrel shot! :-) .. and then I am missing the name of the wasp attacking the spider - it would speed up my own posting when I finally get to those photos :-)

Cheers Allan

Jarrod said...

The family is Pompilidae, not sure of the genus or species.
http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Spider-wasp-on-flower/

AGL said...

Thanks for the naming - that was some great insect spotting. I have heard about this thing of wasps laying their eggs in spiders, but seeing it was pretty crazy.

Cheers Allan

Richard King said...

Nice Kestrel shot. Well done!