Monday 3 September 2012

Cairns

Work sent me to a conference in Cairns, I had tried to get out of it as I have far to much to do to be able to take a week off but sadly could not.

I had only half a day free while I was there as well as early mornings so was pretty limited in what I could do. Nonetheless my attempts to see any wildlife were appalling with only 4 new birds seen. Didn't see any crocodiles either despite the sign on the esplanade promising so much.

P8294640
Black Butcherbird

I will have to go again when I can afford to have some time off and have a proper look around.

P8294594
The botanic gardens were very nice.

P8294629

3 comments:

AGL said...

Lovely spot up there! Good for you that you only got 4 new ones, now you have to go again :-) What were the new one?

Have a good one - Allan

Jarrod said...

Yes I will definitely have to go again after that embarrassing performance. The birds I saw were Pied Imperial-pigeon, Magpie goose, Comb-crested jacana and the black butcherbird. Or inotherwords all the easy common ones in Cairns. May have also got a metalic starling and some water birds but the photos were to poor to tell.

AGL said...

Ah .. 4 in half a day is a pretty good average - you have not beaten that many times the last few years!..?

I used weeks going through my Cairns photos afterwards finding out what all those waders in breeding, non-breeding and somewhere in between plumage were .. mix in the difference between juveniles and adults and it gets really tricky. I even complain about it in my old Cairns Esplanade blog post and with some birds I gave up in the end.

I am sure all your girls would like to come along next time.

Cheers Allan